Thursday, August 14, 2008

Medal Round

Here we are, down to the final three. I’m so excited I can’t hold back any longer; let’s just dive in:

BRONZE
Austria
Original Style 9, Individual Beer 9, Culture 8
Total = 26

Austria just barely edges out the Irish to make it to the medal stand. They get high scores in all three categories but are led by their invention of Marzen/Oktoberfest. We usually associate Marzen with Bavaria, but the beer was first developed in Austria and was known as Weiner Typ (Vienna Style). Later, when the neighboring Bavarians enforced strict regulations on brewing in the hot summer months, this beer that's brewed in March but isn't ready until September or October, became extremely popular across the border and the new name took hold. These wonderful lagers almost make the end of summer not seem so bad.

For best individual Austrian beer, I’m going with the Augustiner Marzen. It’s hard to come by in the U.S. but if you ever see it, pick it up. A buddy of mine and I have been dreaming/planning of going on a brewery tour in Germany, but the prospect of having this beer on tap alone is enough to make me want to trek into Austria as well. It’s definitely the best Marzen I’ve had.

The culture score for Austria has got to be high but, at the same time, I don’t want to go too high because of the rather large overlap with and borrowing from Germany’s cultural contributions, hence the 8.

SILVER
United Kingdom
Original Style 9, Individual Beer 10, Culture 9
Total = 28

I went by Olympic rather than World Cup rules for dealing with the U.K. squad. In the World Cup England, Wales, Northern Ireland, and Scotland all compete separately but in the Olympics they all come together to form one U.K. team. Scotland and England could easily hold their own in this competition but seeing as I began this whole thing because of the Olympics, I’m going to follow the I.O.C.’s lead and judge them together. Don’t like it? Send your complaints here.

Best original beer style for the U.K. is a tough one: do I choose the I.P.A. or the E.S.B.? (I could also pick the Brown Ale, but come on, no acronym?). I’m going with the E.S.B. because when they’re good, they’re damn good (though, when they’re bad, well, when they’re bad they’re the one I made back in November).

My favorite U.K. beer is one I’ve already posted about. Traquair’s House Ale is a fantastic Scottish brew that, if it were more readily available, would have the serious potential to turn me into an alcoholic. I love this beer. Dear God, I love this beer.

The United Kingdom’s contribution to beer culture is one that I don’t think gets enough credit. Hell, just look at the three styles I had to choose from above. Can you imagine world without those three? This is the country that perfected the use of hopping (and came up with some great hop names, too). I also think that they deserve some serious points for their conservation efforts.

GOLD
Germany
Original Style 10, Individual Beer 10, Culture 10
Total = 30

Was there every really any doubt? Of course the Germans were going to win, the real question was by how much. I’ll save my Ode de Deutschland for tomorrow. Check back then for the victory lap.

No comments: