Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Wolfgang's Summer Bash

Whenever I brew, I feel compelled to turn the day into a celebration of all things beer and what better way to do that then to find some new beer and try it out while brewing? Usually, the goal is to find something that either (a) I’ve never heard of, (b) is similar to whatever it is I’m making that day, or (c) both. For my latest concoction, I went with option c and it turned out to be damn good choice.

I explained to the owner of my local package store that I was attempting to brew a lighter, citrusy ale for the summer months and he immediately grabbed me a 22 oz. bottle of Amadeus from Les Brasseurs de Gayant. Not only had I never heard of this beer, I’d never heard of the brewery. Hell, let’s be honest, I’d never heard anyone recommend a French beer.

I’ve seen French beers before, but not ones I would drink. Usually a French beer is just a poorly crafted Belgian. I mean come on, France? Beer? These things go together about as well as water and gasoline, Red Sox and Yankees, Ben Affleck and film. In a word association game, no one, literally, no one would hear France and say “beer.” Still, it came strongly recommended and he said it had a hint of lemon so I figured I’d buy it and at the very worst I’d have something new to make fun of France for.

Once I tried it, I was immediately humbled and began to question my many years of frog-bashing (well, okay, I didn’t question it that much). This is beer is a very high quality white ale. It’s light, smooth and refreshing with understated but not completely absent hops. The lemon gives it a great little bite at the end that makes you come back for more.

You know the image Corona tries to convey: the perfectly relaxed couple sitting on the beach or by the pool without a care in the world? Well screw Corona, that should be this beer’s ad. It’s a light but flavorful hot weather brew I could sip all day long and forget how many I’ve had, because who cares? It’s summer!

Now if only I could afford to go on vacation…

No comments: