Monday, July 28, 2008

A Little Bit of Magic

A little while back, Nick and I had a conversation about what to do with the real major good beers out there: Sam Adams Boston Lager, Guinness, Anchor Steam, Magic Hat #9, etc.

After much calm and rational discussion, we decided that for the really major beers, we would just review them whenever, and that both of us would try to chime in at around the same time.

I didn't bother to tell Nick that I was going to write this post, because I only just decided to do it. I'm sure he'll notice it tomorrow after he finishes his usual morning internet browsing, and that he'll provide us with an excellent review of his own.

On to the beer (Magic Hat's flagship #9), however:

I've reviewed the Dogfish Head Aprihop elsewhere, so you know that the use of apricots in beer is something that appeals to me. The thing about the #9 is that it's basically the cleanest beer you can imagine--the damn thing flies down. The apricots are there, and they add a nice/fairly interesting flavor, to be sure, but it's not that pronounced--what Magic Hat has really done is to create an INTENSELY drinkable APA. (That, if only for the benefit of TheLadyFriend, is an American Pale Ale.

Nick and I broke into a 12 pack of Magic Hat on a recent train ride--and while I happen to enjoy all of their brews, this one is a real classic. I'm a big Ultimate player. Big both in the sense that I love it, and in the sense that I'm fat. This evening, after a game, a bunch of us headed to the bar, as we occasionally do on a summer evening. On this night, as on most nights, when I walk into the bar hot, sweaty, and thirsty, there's really no choice to be made--the first beer I go for when I just want to be refreshed and rejuvenated before moving on to more interesting offerings is the #9.

Interesting sidenote that would make you readers jealous, if you consisted of more than my girlfriend and occasionally my sister: Nick and I have both had all three of the beers to which I linked immediately before this sentence. Yes, that includes the one to which "offerings" links.

No comments: