Tuesday, July 29, 2008

It's Not a Kind of Magic

First off, let’s set the record straight: Mark and I have only ever gotten into fisticuffs once (well, twice if you count when we head butted each other while celebrating on the greatest day ever) and it was certainly over something far more important than posting protocol on the beerblog.

As for the beer itself, I’m not actually so big on the #9. It’s not a bad beer but it doesn’t really do much for me either. Mark describes it as a drinkable, clean beer that “flies down.” Yeah, that’s all true – because it’s a boring beer. It’s a very basic, unobjectionable Pale Ale, which is fine but, for me it doesn’t merit being listed as one of the “real major good beers” as Mark so eloquently put it.

I know what you’re thinking: “But Nick, the apricot!” Fruit in beer is a great thing, but it has to serve a purpose. The apricot in the #9 is not nearly pronounced enough for it to make a real difference in my palate. It’s a dulled background flavor, which would provide a great accent to the other flavors in this beer, that is, if they existed.

Again, I’m not saying that I dislike this beer. It’s thirst-quenching and when it’s offered to me, I drink it, but overall I find it kind of disappointing that the brewery that makes so many other interesting offerings has such a bland flagship.

Come on, Mark, if only because of your wardrobe, I thought I could count you to take up the good fight against all things boring. If you’re not going to join me in this struggle that’s fine. We’ve always known that there can be only one.

No comments: