Wednesday, October 8, 2008

I (heart) Autumn


Between apple cider and falling leaves, football, and the High Holidays, who doesn’t love sweater season? (answer)

The best part of the coming of autumn may just be the beer. Fall brews were what really got me into beer in the first place. During my (removed for legal reasons) year of college, a friend poured me a glass of Sam Adams Octoberfest and, for the first time, I experienced a beer with flavor. For that simple reason, I have a soft spot for Marzens and for pretty much all fall beers.

To celebrate the coming of my favorite beer season, here’s are a few quality autumn brews you should try before the trees go completely bare:

Sam Adams Octoberfest –
As mentioned above, this is the brew that turned me into a beer-lover. It’s very malty but hopped enough to keep it from becoming sweet. The golden/amber color is very pretty (and matches the leaves in front of my house perfectly, by the by).

If you don’t believe me about how good this Marzen is, trust Bavarians: this was the first American beer ever allowed at Oktoberfest in Germany.

Wychwood Scarecrow
Up until this year, I’ve always seen this beer as Circle Master (anyone know if “circle master” is a britishism for scarecrow?). Whatever the reason for the name change, it’s a solid pale ale. On the lighter side for a fall beer but relatively heavy for a pale ale, it serves as a good training wheel for those who aren’t quite ready to give up on the lighter summer brews. Also cool about this beer, it’s 100% organic and so it gets the TreeHugger seal of approval.

Der Hirschbrau Doppelhirsch
I’ve discussed the Doppelhirsch before, but didn’t go into much detail. This is one you’re going to want to pour into nice big stein so you can take in the full experience. It’s got a great dark red/brown color with nice earthy aroma. I’d be lying if I didn’t say it was malt heavy but the hops that are there balance it out nicely.

When I picture the last barbeque of the year, I’m standing over the fire, grilling knockwurst and sipping this beer.

Southern Tier Pumking
Southern Tier continues their streak of surprising me and upping the ante for every other microbrewery with this one. Until I sampled Pumking, the only pumpkin beer I’d liked was my absolute favorite beer, Shipyard Pumpkinhead. I still like Shipyard’s more, but that’s like comparing apples to oranges or, more accurately, amber ales to imperials.

Pumking is heavy and has a high alcohol content for an autumn beer. It’s definitely not an everyday beer but next time you’re in the mood to get your mind blown, order one of these, and if you get the chance to have it on tap, do it.

Shipyard Pumpkinhead
You already know how much I love this beer.

Donezo.

No comments: